Quick Draw Artist Interview #18: Brad Tinmouth

Quick Draw Artist Interviews area series of interviews conducted by Otino Corsano using Facebook's IM Chat feature. Spontaneous conversations with international artists are recorded and documented specifically for publication on this blog.

Quick: diversity. Rather than a pretentious "hermetic" consider an alienating "esoteric". List unique and mundane. Meanwhile hugs iron out the creases. Draw: art about art.

(Notice: The artistic views contained in this interview do not represent the views of the interviewer or web host.)


Brad Tinmouth is an artist working and living from Toronto, Canada. He is works with new media.


 
Today



Otino
8:31pm
Hi Brad.


Brad
8:32pm
Hi Otino.

Otino
8:32pm
I've looked at so much of your work for the first time 
and now I feel a bit overwhelmed at the quanity.

"BTCS" 2010, 100 Graphite Drawings & 50 Acrylic Paintings, @ 7.5" x 6"

Brad
8:33pm
I hope that’s good.

Otino
8:33pm
Is attempting to be prolific a tactic?

"Rapper" 2010, Oil on Canvas, 16" x 20"

Brad
8:34pm
yes.
I wish I could shout my name out like rappers do in songs -
so you know it’s them on a verse.
I guess it’s the same as signing a painting.


"BT Vacay" 2010, Acrylic and Ink on Paper, 11" x 14"

Otino
8:34pm
It seems so much of your work is both critical of contemporary culture…

"Shortwave (After Snow)" 2009, Video, 0:05
Brad
8:34pm
I guess it is.
I mostly like funny things.
I enjoy jokes
and I enjoy art that makes me laugh.
Being critical often pulls a comic reaction.


"Irak Graff" 2010, Oil on Panel, 12" x 16"

Otino
8:34pm
…and your other half employs those same popular devices to promote you as an art brand.

"Brad Tinmouth Dot Com" 2011, Video, 3:57

Brad
8:35pm
right.
I think self-promotion is a very interesting tactic/shtick.
I try to promote myself as blatantly as possible.
everyone is doing it;
yet most try to be subtle or cloak it.



Otino
8:36pm
It amazes me how you both mock art subcultures and then perform them so precisely.
You are a born entertainer: performance artist - no?


Brad
8:36pm
I am obsessed with the monetization of art.
The term “performance” has been coming up lately in reference to my work.
Still, I would never call myself a “performance artist”.



Otino
8:38pm
I use the term "performance" in a very general way. 
Maybe “producer” is better.


Brad
8:38pm
I like the idea of art being stocks and bonds:
you buy and trade.
I want a piece of the pie.





Yeah, I think producer is a good term;
yet, I am still performing in a way.


"The Office s7 E19" 2011, Pen on Enamelled Canvas, 20" x 16"

Otino
8:39pm
Your work displays blatant commercialization in the direction you describe.

"Cool Pool" 2010, Acrylic on Canvas, 20" x 16"

Brad
8:39pm
ya, I want a cottage.


"Me At My Cottage IRL" 2011, Watercolour on Paper, 30" x 15"


"View From My Cottage" 2011, Oil on Canvas, 16" x 20"


"Cabin (the best painting i will ever do)" 2010, Oil and Graphite on Canvas, 9.5" x 9.5"

Otino
8:39pm
Do you think you can become wealthy via your art production?

"Cottage w Dock" 2010, Oil and Spray Paint on Canvas, 20" x 16"

Brad
8:39pm
yes I hope so.


"Vacay Pic From My Cottage" 2010, Acrylic and Spray Enamel on Canvas, 18" x 14"

Otino
8:39pm
Are you Canada's Mark Kostabi?


Brad
8:39pm
I just Googled him.


"Mark Kostabi" ~1980, Timothy Greenfield-Sanders

Otino
8:40pm
You’ve never heard of Mark Kostabi?!


Brad
8:40pm
No, I haven’t.
I don’t have a traditional art background.
I went to film school so I missed out on all the forced-fed art history.

Otino
8:41pm
How about: Do you want to be Canada's Jeff Koons?


Brad
8:41pm
Ya sure.
Do you know the domain jeffkoonsart.ca is available?
I have recently been on a domain searching spree.



Otino
8:41pm
Who are your other art references/sources?

Brad
8:42pm
I am obsessed with graffiti.
I get really involved and when I find something interesting I try to learn as much as I can about it – or get as good as I can at it - with varying results.


"Worst" 2010, Oil, Alkaline, Spray Paint on Canvas, 48" x 17"


Otino
9:00pm
I see an acute focus on commodity in your work,
critiques of connoisseurship
and a bold presentation of the art market as object focussed.



It seems to me
you are doing an excellent job of making a strong link between
psychological motivations and the urge to collect in the commercial art realm.

Brad
9:04pm
It is very similar.


"Untitled (white 5)" 2011, Acrylic, Spray Paint and Ink on Glass, 8" x 10"

everyone wants something.
I want to give someone something.

Otino
9:07pm
Let's talk about
"Artforum Ad"
I imagine it was never published.


Brad
9:08pm
you didn’t see it?

Otino
9:08pm
Just as "Post, It" remains unpublished as well.



Otino
9:09pm
“Video Sculptures” 5:30, 2010


Brad
9:10pm
yes.
It was featured on April 9th @ Jackman Hall AGO aspart of 2011 Images Festival.

"Eflouressence" 2009, Video, 1:59

Otino
9:13pm
What apps do you generally use for your video work?



Brad
9:13pm
I just use Final Cut Pro.
I sometimes use After Effects
but everything is mostly fcp.

"Salem - Hound" 2010, Video, 4:37

Otino
9:15pm
I can swear you are a trying your best 
to do a young Colin Campbell in some of your vids...

"Sackville, I'm Yours" 1972, Colin Campbell, Video 5:34
Brad
9:15pm
I can see that connection -
mostly in the hair.

Otino
9:16pm
Finally, your paintings and drawings are decadent.
It seems obvious you greatly enjoy making them.
Significant effects achieved with as little effort invested aspossible.


"Grey 004" 2010, Oil and Spray Paint on Paper, 16" x 20"


"BTCS - dr.10" 2010, Graphite on Paper, 7.5" x 6"


What does "I Couldn't Afford To Buy Negs Like Ruff 001"mean?


"I Cound't Afford To Buy Negs Like Ruff 001" 2010, Spray Paint on Panel, 16" x 20"

Brad
9:17pm
Thomas Ruff did this series of photos of stars.
He didn’t want to shoot original photos of the night sky
because of all the equipment needed and expense.
So he simply bought negatives from an observatory and justcropped them a bit.


"Sterne, 11h 54m, 20∘" 1989, Thomas Ruff, Colour Photograph

His jpegs are now some of the best photos.

Otino
9:18pm

"Painting" 2010, Oil on Canvas, 16" x 12"

It seems you've set up a diametric practice:
People are either admiringly charmed or enviously judgmental.
Maybe I'm mistaken –
yet, it seems you have raised the stakes to this level of contrast.

Brad
9:24pm
Winning some people over
the black and white of it is true.
At least a lot of breadth
In between for the work
is all I can ask for.

Otino
9:25pm
We need a new Art Star.

Brad
9:25pm
I’ll drag myself all over the place.

"Through The Night Softly" 1973, Chris Burden, TV Ad

What about Jeremy Bailey!
He’s on point!



And Jon Rafman!


"Jon Rafman 9 Eyes" 2011, Directed by Noemi Pérez

Otino
9:26pm
Thanks Brad.

Brad
9:26pm
Thanks.

my work is available at Vtape
Otino
9:28pm
PayPal…

Brad
9:28pm
hahah.
Thanks Otino.




No comments:

Post a Comment