Quick Draw Artist Interview #29: Peter Kingstone


Quick Draw Artist Interviews are a series of interviews conducted by Otino Corsano using Facebook's IM Chat feature. Spontaneous conversations with international artists are recorded and documented specifically for publication on this blog.

Quick: Jab. Models her pummels. I actually asked for a Nokia and happily settled for better than advertised. She carries heavy clout; paradoxically ultra-lightweight. He returns to me as Phantom High Speed Capture HD in Hughes/Thomson Technicolor. “Make Something Beautiful Happen.” To be scrawled on a future panel. Prepped according to scale. Half a decade ago. 
Draw: art about art.

  
Peter Kingstone is a single channel and installation video artist. He lives in Toronto, Ontario Canada.  He holds a Philosophy/Cultural Studies Degree from Trent University in Peterborough, and Masters of Fine Arts from York University, Toronto, Ontario. Kingstone has exhibited extensively in Toronto and internationally and has presented at many conferences on the ideas around storytelling and social engagement. He teaches at Toronto School of Art and York University and over the years has worked in a variety of administrative roles for many Toronto artist-run centres. Peter started in September 2012 as the Acting Visual/Media Arts Officer at Toronto Arts Council.


Peter Kingstone is represented by Pari Nadimi Gallery. His most recent solo exhibition at the Gallery titled, "Upright Stance," was exhibited in February to March 2013.




Peter Kingstone



Chat Conversation Start

Today


Otino        
12:51pm
Hi Peter.
I think I'm ready.
Let me know when you are set.


Peter
12:52pm
I'm ready.


Otino
12:52pm
Great.
First of all let me apologize for the delay with this conversation.
I first saw images from your winter (Feb-Mar) 2013 show titled "Upright Stance" at Pari Nadimi Gallery in an email announcement (probably Akimbo).


Peter
12:53pm
No problem.

Otino
12:54pm
Initially I was drawn to the subject matter.



Since speaking to you at the reception, I was hoping to have the opportunity to discuss these works formally and so I am happy to have the chance now to revisit this series with the help of your added perspective.
I think the texture and general gritty aesthetics of this purist type of drawing also drew my attention.


Peter
12:56pm
Thanks.

Otino 12:57pm
Maybe we can start this discussion in regards to technique and the formal approach of your sketching style for these works.


Peter
12:58pm
Sure. 



Otino 12:57pm
Is drawing a common medium for you?

Peter is typing...



Peter
12:59pm
Drawing is a very new medium for me.  I have been an artist for about 13 years, mostly video and installation work, sometimes delving into photography and ephemera.... yet, having never taken an art course before, I did not have the skills to do drawing. So when I had the opportunity to take a drawing course a couple of years ago, I appreciated a new way of looking.

Otino
1:00pm
By the way, I happen to have Bill Conti scores playing in the background. Would it be a bit much to suggest readers enhance their experience of this interview by following suit?


Seen 1:01pm

Peter
1:02pm
I do think the environment does really affect a reading, or acts so to allow the audience to experience alike stimuli sounds good.  I don't have any Conti scores - I'm listening to CBC news about the flooding in Calgary.


Otino
1:06pm
In a way, both involve themes of perseverance. Getting back to drawing as a medium, my main impression was perplexity such raw images, letter size sheets pinned at top corners, could be exhibited today.

In short, I think your gallery director deserves top credits for believing in this work.


Peter
1:08pm
Great - we had a battle about how to show the work- I was adamant they should be installed with magnets and unframed, she wanted them to be framed. I wanted the drawings to be raw.  And I also wanted to demonstrate an intentional avoidance of any form of ‘preciousness’ about this work common with the rest of my work.


Otino
1:09pm
Credit to you as well then for defending the project. Still it is rare for a gallery to be so brave.


This theme of the art world and market as an arena has been a concept I have always been invested in as an artist. Especially a theme with conceptualist roots questioning the materiality of art forms to varying degrees.

Peter
1:11pm
So am I.  My solo installations often deal with the notion of what a gallery is as well as involving the work.


Otino
1:12pm
So the sparseness in this series is something not afforded to art much today.

Seen 1:12pm

Peter
1:13pm
I agree. In the individual pieces I started with surrounding the figures with darkness allowing them to come out without covering the entire page. Then as I moved on in the series, I liked how they sat on a blank page without a ground.


Otino
1:13pm
I wonder if I can take the conservation on a new yet relevant turn for a moment?


Peter
1:14pm
Sure.

Otino
1:15pm
In conducting research for this interview (given I've had three months to prepare) I found myself returning to Warhol and Basquiat's collaborations originally exhibited in 1985.


The press materials, the interviews, the hype...


Next, I just recently I borrowed "Jean-Michel Basquiat: The Radiant Child" by Director Tamra Davis on DVD from my local library and watched it a couple of nights ago. There are so many references to boxing linked to Jean-Michel's brief yet prolific career beginning with his statement he wanted to box with Julian Schnabel. In the film Schnabel states he told Basquiat: "You may just get the boxing match you are looking for." Ha.


Peter
1:18pm
fun.

Otino
1:19pm
Yet it was his relationship with Warhol I still find fascinating.
Is all this too far off from speaking about your series?


Peter is typing...

Peter
1:20pm
hmmm.  Well I can speak about why I choose boxing.  Also I like Basquiat over Warhol....


Otino
1:20pm
What draws this preference for you?


Peter
1:21pm
Never having boxed or ever been in physical fight, being punched is something I wonder about.


Otino
1:22pm
Well that is nice to hear – I mean specifically the part of never having experienced physical violence as sport or otherwise.

Peter
1:22pm
Basquiat over Warhol: because of his messiness, his rawness, his desire, all at the forefront in his work.


I find Basquiat more human and can speak too, much more than Warhol.

Otino
1:23pm
I think the reason your drawings led me to a return to their collaborative work, although first manipulated by their blatantly orchestrated marketing materials, was the notion the Art World really is a brutal place: an arena where no one can properly prepare young artists for the disappointment.


Peter
1:26pm
Like most artist feel, I see myself as both an insider and an outsider in the Art World simultaneously.  Playing the game is very unnatural to me, and I feel everyone should be making art.


Otino
1:26pm
The fact not a single work was sold from the Bruno Bischofberger organized Tony Shafrazi exhibition in the Fall of 1985, it could be argued, was the true cause of death for Jean-Michel ~ at least the source of his soul’s demise.


Peter
1:27pm
That sounds very sad.
I'm trying to tell stories I feel are important, instead of only being an audience.


Otino
1:29pm
The way the art press struck low blows - printing presumptions surrounding Warhol's intentions (supposedly Andy was used to all this) and Basquiat's motivations residing with recognition and fame (Jean-Michel far more unprepared for the standard cynicism) is now generally perceived as unnecessary at best.

Your drawings seemed to be grouped into stages:
"Getting Ready"
"Match"
"Round"
"Knockout"


Peter
1:30pm
Exactly.  Except “Knockout” I may term as losing.
There are no drawings of winners.

Otino
1:31pm
Yes I got that from the work. It appears to me you are representing/documenting a type of cycle for new considerations.


Repeat = Art is brutal.

Peter
1:32pm
It's also a simple understandable narrative without a happy ending.


Otino
1:32pm
Apart from the French Art Brut.


Peter
1:32pm
I see that.

Otino
1:33pm
I guess the question the viewer is left considering is the token: "why"?


Peter
1:34pm
“Why” what?

Otino
1:34pm
“Why do artists exist”?


Or more accurately: Why do people think making art can bring them happiness, fame, fortune, etc… when in reality it is mostly the farthest thing from the truth.

Possibly similar to a belief in the myth of two individuals entering a fighting ring can ever result in true victory?

Peter
1:36pm
Hmm, I'm not sure what other people think. 

I make art because I have stories I need to tell.  I think everyone should be making art and producing new narratives.  Telling stories and being understood hopefully brings happiness (fame and fortune are pointless in my opinion).



Well, when we have two people entering a ring we have no idea what is going to happen - we have rules set up so someone becomes a winner  - in the ring.

And if the “ring” is the Art World we have winners in this small space of life.

It's the rules we place on top of the game giving us borders to the narrative.

Otino
1:38pm
I recently saw George Chuvalo walking with a family member through a Newmarket mall.  Honestly, there was a circle of admiration around him - literally space – a bubble of awe. I wanted to approach him yet was slightly fearful.


Peter
1:39pm
I would love to talk to athletes about narrative and how one understands the game - in hindsight, in foresight and during.

Colour commentary has changed my perception of watching sports.

Otino
1:41pm
Gagosian Gallery recently presented the Warhol Basquiat collaboration at this same time last year in London 2012.


Peter
1:41pm
I wish I had seen it.

Otino
1:41pm
Do you think this can be seen as a victory for the artists in any way?
Late vs never?


Peter 
1:42pm
I think it is a victory for the audience whenever they get a chance to see the work.


Otino
1:43pm
In retrospect, do you see your “Upright Stance” show at Pari Nadimi Gallery as a victory? Personal or otherwise?

Peter
1:45pm
Hmm.
I am very proud of the work.  Still, I am never satisfied with the work I make to a degree. I also think of victory meaning the game is over.  Making art for me isn't over yet because I'm still not satisfied.


Otino
1:45pm
Well I think you're a champion Peter.

Peter
1:46pm
Well thanks! That really does mean a lot to me.

Otino
1:46pm
Then again, that's coming from an artist who is as art-punch-drunk as a pre-retired Shawn O'Sullivan. Still, I’m being sincere as possible.



Thanks so much for taking the time to speak to me about your work Peter.

Peter
1:47pm
Well thanks so much for asking. I'm still waiting for my first punch.
Physical, not metaphorical. I've had a lot of those.

Otino
1:48pm
Challenge Andy Fabo to an art match.


Peter
1:48pm
He would wipe the floor with me....

Otino
1:48pm
True. Thanks Peter.

Peter
1:49pm
Talk later.

Otino
1:49pm
Gimme a ring.


Chat Conversation End

No comments:

Post a Comment